Many patients find themselves wanting to ask their Doctor about Medical Cannabis as medicine, however, they can sometimes feel that talking with their doctor about Medical Cannabis can be a nerve-wracking experience. A little preparation can provide confidence when approaching one’s GP.
First thing first, have you provided the CDA Letter to your regular Doctor? You should’ve been sent this in the information pack that you received when you first enquired on our website. Attached to the information pack was a PDF that you can print out and take to your regular Doctor. It explains to your doctor that she has a duty of care to provide you with a referral to any health specialists or services that you would like to try for your condition(s). Please ensure that you do this as a first step.For the letter to your referring doctor please CLICK HERE
Require an Initial Medicinal Cannabis Information Pack?
Nurse Doni’s Quick Tips
Nurse Doni’s quick tips for approaching your regular Doctor include:
1. Start by doing a little research to explain how you think Medical Cannabis would help you.
2. Discuss the potential benefits and implications of Medical Cannabis as a therapy choice.
3. Note your expectations of Medical Cannabis therapy.
4. Ask your doctor about the formulation of an appropriate treatment plan.
5. Understand the cost of treatment.
6. Set achievable and realistic health goals.
You can also request a medical clinic reception for your medical history and take that to another doctor to obtain a referral. Another option is that you can tell your Doctor that you just want to try CBD oil which is non-psychoactive and completely legal to drive on. Additionally, GP’s collaborate treatment plans and they should be informed of any new supplements or medication commenced. A Medical Cannabis specialist has insight on possible medication interactions and, in conjunction with a patients GP, can help monitor for safety and efficacy of the medicine.
Whether health care professionals are for, neutral or against Medical Cannabis, it’s important that they remember they have a duty of care for their patients and need to consider all viable treatments. Patients should feel comfortable when seeking support from their doctor to guide them along their health care journey.
Some important points that you can tell your Doctor:
- CDA Clinics are specialist doctors. Much the same as visiting any specialist (oncologist, cardiologist, Endocrinologists or other). A referral is needed for those too.
- Your referring Doctor is not endorsing Medicinal Cannabis, but simply validating your symptoms.
Your Doctor’s reservations may include:
- They may lose you as a patient.
- Reassure them that you’ll remain a patient of theirs and CDA doctors will collaborate results with your doctor. Some doctors such as bulk billing doctors can only make a living with a high-volume of consults.
- Perhaps you just want to get high.
- Assure them that you want CBD which is a non-psychoactive treatment. If they’re not aware that some Medical Cannabis medicine is completely non-psychoactive and non-toxic, they need to re-educate themselves. They need to understand that Medicinal Cannabis treatment is about getting healthy, not high.
- They’re concerned with your current prescription medicines.
- Our doctors are highly experienced and always work with a patient’s current treatments, symptoms and consult only upon receiving a Health Summary.
- This is why it’s important for your Doctor to provide a relevant health Summary which should any past and current medications and other treatments that you are trying for your symptoms/condition.
- Some doctors are telling their patients that accessing Medical Cannabis is difficult and that it’s prohibitively expensive.
- We can assure you that it’s not difficult to access Medical Cannabis. As long as you have a chronic condition lasting 3 months or more (you can prove this with your Health Summary) and you’re over the age of 18.
- We have a success rate of 99% for getting your TGA Application approved.
- The cost of the consultations and average product cost is on our website. Whether you can afford this or not is your prerogative and has nothing to do with your Doctor.
What Can you Do?
- You can go back to your Doctor and present them with some research. Research can be found on our website here.
- Give our details to your Doctor so that he/she can contact us directly.
- If ALL else fails, provide us with the contact details of your Doctor and we may be able to contact your Doctor:
- Doctor name
- practice name
- telephone number
- Contact your practice and request your full medical history (preferably emailed to you as it can be a large document). Move to another Doctor who will refer you for Medical Cannabis.
Find out more about Medical Cannabis Therapies
Disclaimer: This is not an inducement to use Medicinal Cannabis. Medical Cannabis doesn’t work for everyone, and it may not work for you. How Cannabis affects a person depends on many things, including their size, weight, age and health, dosage and tolerance and the results can vary. Some people may experience side effects when taking Cannabinoid medication.
The information provided by CDA Clinics is for educational and informational purposes only. For Medical advice, please check with your doctor and request a referral.